Everything is provided 100% by sponsors allowing us to make this a free event and give you some small giveaways. Yay sponsors!
Q: Do I need to bring a lunch or eat breakfast?
We are currently securing breakfast and lunch sponsors; once that is done we will send an email to all attendees letting you know if we are able to provide.
Q: What’s the conference about?
Honestly, we don’t know yet. EdCampMSP is not your traditional conference. In fact, there is really nothing traditional about it at all. Our sessions for the day are not published, or even known ahead of time. The day is 100% driven by you, the attendees. That is where the session (conversation) ideas come from. What we do know is that you have the opportunity to get what you need, help others meet their needs, and make some great contacts in the process. You can get the conversation rolling by commenting on our blog post ‘What’s Your Passion?’
Q: I’m probably going to be late or leave early, is that a problem?
Not at all - remember this day is about you. The session planning, which starts at 8:30am, is always important. We know it’s early, but this is where the magic happens. This is where we ask YOU what YOU want from the day. Creating an EdCamp agenda is a pretty awesome experience. If you are going to leave early, again no worries - this day is about YOU.
Q: You mention ‘session planning’ what do you mean?
To build the schedule, participants make invitations along these lines:
- I’d like someone to teach me about… we work to find someone who can help.
- I’d like to teach others about…
- I’d like to have a conversation with others about…
- Let’s get together and…
Q: What resources are available if I want to present something?
There will be a projector in each room for anyone to use, if needed, to show supplemental materials and resources. EdCampMSP is not about full blown presentations with slides, handouts, and the like. It’s not that kind of conference, but if you have them, you’re welcome to bring them. The idea is for sessions to be conversational and participatory rather than sit-and-get.
Q: There’s something I want to talk about but I don’t want to lead a session. What should I do?
Just because you added the session/topic to the session board doesn’t mean you have to be the only voice during that entire time slot. In fact, we don’t want you to be. Sessions are meant to be learning conversation around the topic. Just facilitate and give focus; let everyone in on the conversation.
Q: What if I start in one session and after a few minutes discover it’s not for me?
If you realize that your mind is drifting off to another place, you need to take your two feet and catch your mind. This is called ‘the law of two feet’ - let your feet take you where your mind is drifting.
Q: We’re really into our conversation but the session ended. Now what?
This is completely normal. Move your conversation to the Bull Pen and continue on. This will happen with a lot of conversations. Again, EdCampMSP is really informal and non-traditional, and you know what... it is all acceptable.
Q: What should I bring to EdCampMSP?
Here are some things you might want to bring with you:
- An open mind - this is going to be very different than any conference you have ever experienced.
- A laptop, tablet, smartphone, or other preferred personal device. We encourage you to email, tweet, blog, collaborate on GoogleDocs, etc. during a session.
- Since you will be tweeting and collaborating, we suggest that you also bring a charger for your device – our Webb Support station is a technology valet spot where you can power up when needed.
- Your passion for education and desire to make it better for kids.
- A plan for sharing what you learned. We must take these new ideas, information, and conversations back to those that weren’t at EdCampMSP.
- Bring a new/gently used coat for the Coats for Kids Drive. We will have a drop off right when you register.
- An interested friend, colleague, student, administrator, pre-service teacher, consultant, trustee, or superintendent. The more the merrier, but make sure they register soon!
Q: How can I say thanks to the EdCampMSP sponsors?
Tweet out your appreciation, like them on Facebook, and give them your business. Remember they helped make this day possible.
Check out the EdCampMSP blog, camper profiles, and general information and we will see you on October 12th.